Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Eating Animals & Five Dials

Today I received this surprise in the mail:


The super cool people at Five Dials (or, really, the super cool editor Craig) mailed me a signed copy of Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals.

I saw J-Saf (yes, that's what I call him to try to pretend we're friends) about five months ago at a Book Slam event where he did a reading from this very book.  I am a HUGE fan of his fiction novels, but delayed buying Eating Animals because I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the similarly themed literature and films that were so popular at the time. I do have to say that although I am a meat-eater, I've grown more conscious about where my food comes from and try to limit the amount I consume.  Vegetarian meals have become a much more important part of my diet.

I have to be sure to properly emphasize how much I love Five Dials.  I started reading this online literary magazine when it was in its third issue (now on seventeen) and have been hooked since the first page.  One of the things I really love about it is how it combines pieces from contemporary and up-and-coming writers with some good 'ol classics - even Gandhi makes an appearance in one issue!

It's free to download and clearly, the people behind it are really awesome.  I highly encourage you to check it out!

1 comment: